Monday, June 18, 2012

What to do?

We had been to the Vallejo farmers market on a Saturday morning.  We purchased strawberries, cherries, nectarines, plums, apricots, Chinese long beans, green beans, eggplant, crookneck squash and bok choy.  All for a fraction of what we would pay at the Napa Farmers market.  We are not fond of driving through American Canyon simply because of the number of traffic lights along Highway 29.  Thus we went by way of Jameson Canyon Road to Highway 80 and into Vallejo. 

We came back via the same route, exiting the Highway at Red Top Road.  As we zipped off the Freeway, we saw something that will stay with me for quite some time.  There was a small, red SUV stopped on the right hand shoulder.  A young boy, maybe 10 years old, was standing outside of the passenger side and a woman was briskly walking toward him from the driver's side.  As we approached, the woman came upon the boy and slapped him fiercely across the left cheek.  She turned to walk away, taking two steps, then turned about and returned toward him.  She grabbed his shirt on either side of his chest and gave two or three rough shakes.  Then she turned back around, walking behind the vehicle before opening the driver's door and climbing inside.  The boy opened the passenger door and climbed inside but not before I glimpsed his crying, fearful face. 

What to do?  Should we stop? 

She had a Christian fish symbol on her vehicle.  Should we stop and offer to pray with her?  Or is she just a Christian like a good proportion of the population are, by name only; not the praying, truly believing sort?

We did not stop - I do not know if this was the right decision or the wrong one. 

Prayer is my refuge and my comfort.  In the absence of action, I resorted to prayer.  And maybe that is all we are called to do in such a situation.  But my heart aches for this woman - the anger and rage we could openly see.  And my heart aches for the boy - the fear that he must feel when he is with her. 

I pray that it was just a one time thing.  I pray that it is not an abusive situation.  I pray that God will heal and bring peace to them both.  I pray the prayer that never fails (as Father Tim says in the Mitford series by Jan Karon), "Lord, thy will be done."

In His Grace...


No comments:

Post a Comment