Friday, June 15, 2012

A long day

It's been a long day today.  My husband left for work at 6:00am (this is his usual time) but he didn't return until almost 8pm (this is unusual, except during harvest when it is expected).  Our son was looking for his daddy at the usual time but instead daddy called to say he'd be late. 

To this our son responded quite well for being 3 (almost 4).  He was a bit put out, but he rallied and was "helping" me in the kitchen.  I, however, let myself get a bit out of joint at the fact that my husband would not be home to grill dinner (I am the preparer, he grills) which means I would either have to change plans or do the grilling myself.

Admittedly, I am getting better at grilling.  It is either grill the dinner or heat up the house, which in the summer I do not want to do.  So I chose to grill the dinner.  But all the time that I am slicing the zucchini, preparing the artichoke, seasoning the lamb, washing the lettuce, making a salad, I have a 3 (almost 4)  year old chattering at me.  Which should be wonderful, right?

But since I was struggling with the "why isn't my husband home to help" funk, the chattering was getting on my nerves.  So then I snapped at my adorable little man who is just keeping me company and telling me everything he sees and observes.

Have you ever been there?  What mom hasn't, right?

So I must work to remember God's grace. 

We sat down for dinner and I said our prayer (which included a request for help with my attitude).  I know God has blessed us with so much.  I know there are many families that don't get to spend as much time together as we do.  I know that I should be thankful as this verse from Thessalonians tells us: 

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for us in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16

This is my prayer this evening, that in spite of circumstances, we can be joyful and give thanks.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment