Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Selfish

As we were driving to meet with a possible new small group, my husband and I were talking - what night would be the ideal night, would we want to be able to bring our son, do we really want to participate. 

We had been in a small group before but it has been several years.  We want the opportunity to fellowship with other believers, to have a support group of friends and to grow in our faith with bible studies and spiritual growth studies.  But what we are struggling with is the time commitment.  Meeting once a week, fitting it into an already busy schedule, spending the time away from our son.  We have been reluctant to commit. 

But then a small voice says to me "It's a small commitment in light of what Jesus did for you." 

He was badly beaten, He was crucified, He was separated from His heavenly father and He died.

He died for me.

He bore the weight of my sins.

So that I can spend eternity with my heavenly Father.

Why am I reluctant to give a few hours a week to grow in my faith?  Why do I resent the time commitment to become closer to my heavenly Father? 

Simple.

Selfishness - we are born into a fallen world where having it my way is the preferred way.  It is a difficult thing to overcome.

I pray that through His grace, I can overcome.  My first step is to change my attitude about the small group.

It was a good first meeting - We are excited to participate and see what treasures God has in store for us!

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment