Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Difficult decision

I have been at my current job for a little over 7 months.  Making the decision to leave my previous position was an agonizing one.  I kept looking to God, but for whatever reason I did not feel that I could hear or see an answer.  I finally made the decision to move to the new job.  I thought it would be a good learning opportunity.

For the last several years, I have been in finance.  I was working at a winery in the finance department doing accounts payable and interstate shipping compliance (there are a lot of laws regarding shipping wine between states).  After maternity leave, I was only looking for part-time work and the winery did not have anything for me.  I quickly found a part-time bookkeeping job for a different winery.  I was doing accounts payable, payroll, general office work and some compliance.  I was hoping that I would have the opportunity to learn more about accounting while I was there, but the company was growing and it was all the controller and I could do to keep up. 

I was no longer learning anything there so when this new opportunity came up, it seemed it might be a good thing.  While they were offering less money, I thought that the learning opportunities would be worth it. My ultimate goal was to learn enough that I could then go out on my own and have a few clients that I could keep books for from my own home office. 

It has not turned out as I hoped.  The training has been lacking, my learning has been slow.  Additionally, when I was hired, there was no mention of a non-compete agreement that must be signed.  However, they are now asking me to sign a contract, agreeing that I will not be involved in a business that would directly compete with theirs for two years after I leave their employment.

Again, I am praying, seeking God's will.  Again, I am lost as to what to do.

Life is full of difficult decisions.  I am fairly new at leaning on God and trying to discern His will in my life.  I struggle with it and often feel like I am making the decisions without any help.  But He says in scripture "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 (emphasis mine).

I pray that I will continue to remember that He is with me always, right beside me, walking through the difficult decisions alongside me. 

I can be confident that as long as I am seeking Him, the decision will be a good one. 

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment