Friday, August 31, 2012

No fear in love

I am not a very good passenger in a car.  I've been in three car accidents and I've always been the passenger.  This makes me a little nervous (maybe justifiably so) when I get in a car with someone, especially when I am unfamiliar with their driving habits.

I rode with someone new today.  We were discussing driving and she mentioned that she is also a nervous passenger.  But she hasn't experienced any trauma to cause her to be fearful of riding with someone.  She is just fearing the possibilities.  And fearing not being in control. 

After the third car accident, I was actually diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.  I literally could not ride with a driver that I didn't know.  I underwent bio-feedback therapy to help with the problem and it did help to a point.  But what truly helped, what truly enabled me to be able to be a passenger and release the fear, was my faith in God. 

As my faith grew, my fear shrunk.

As my understanding of God's amazing love grew, the fear dissipated. 

"There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear..." 1 John 4:18

God's perfect love has driven out the fear.  Now I'm not saying I don't ever get nervous in a car.  I was a bit nervous today as I got in the car.  But I am confident in God's love.  As I continue to grow in my relationship with Him, I know that He will continue to drive out the fear.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment