Monday, September 3, 2012

Perspective

We live in a valley.  There are two main thoroughfares that run north and south in the valley.  They are, for the most part, one lane in each direction.  There are a lot of tourists, especially in the fall.  Thus, on any given day, if you need to drive on one of the roads, you will most likely find yourself behind a tourist...driving 10-15 miles an hour below the speed limit.  Having lived here for close to nine years, I am used to it.  I expect it.  It may be irritating, but that is just how it goes.

This past week, as I was driving to a client's office, I was in a small line of traffic behind a leisurely tourist.  I was the second car in the line and there were several behind me, most notably a pickup truck directly behind me.  Whether or not I wanted to go faster, I could not, because there were two cars in front of me.  That did not stop this truck from getting very close to my rear bumper. 

At one point, I heard someone honking their horn.  It was just after we had passed a somewhat dangerous intersection so I figured the honking was happening at the intersection - maybe someone cut someone else off.  And it wasn't just a polite, little toot.  It was laying on the horn.

As we proceeded up the road, I heard the honking again...and I realized it was the truck behind me...honking at the person in front of me.  I was amazed.  We were averaging about 45 miles per hour which is about 10 miles per hour less than the speed limit.  But truly, at this time of the year, you cannot go anywhere in the valley without ending up behind someone on vacation and taking their time. 

As we came up to a stop sign, the road widened.  The pickup truck passed me on the right, pulled up next to the "slow" car, said something to them and continued on his way.  I could see the reaction of the driver of the car in front of me in their side mirror.  It was one of slight amusement and puzzlement.  They continued on their leisurely way.

I tell you this story to come to the point that it is important in our everyday lives to keep perspective on situations that may arise.  As Lysa Terkeurst said on an Unglued webcast, if driving slowly behind a tourist was the worst thing that happened to me that day, what a blessing.  By driving more slowly I could enjoy the beautiful creation around me.

To use an old cliche, I pray that we all take time to stop and smell the roses.  I challenge you that if something slows your day down, look at it as an opportunity to enjoy more of what God has for you each and every day. 

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment