Monday, August 27, 2012

Praying for Patience

It's interesting, isn't it?  At some point or another, if you are a praying person, you have probably prayed for patience.  Patience with children, with your spouse, with a job or a boss.  There are so many times that we need patience and it doesn't seem to be something that comes naturally. 

I was there a few years ago after our son was born.  He didn't like to sleep.  This required immense patience for me.  I didn't understand why he didn't like to sleep and I didn't understand why he didn't want to nap.  All babies nap, right? 

I mentioned something about praying for patience to my brother-in-law who has been following Christ much longer than I have.  He said something to the effect of you don't want to do that.  I of course asked why?  He said if you pray for something, God will continue to create instances in your life where you will need that characteristic.  In other words, praying for patience will just lead to more instances in my life where I need to have patience.  This is God's way of providing me the opportunity to build up my patience. 

I don't think I truly understood at the time.  I continued to pray for patience and I continued to need more patience to deal circumstances in my life.

But as I grow in my faith, and continue to read the Word daily (just finished Ezekiel as I work my way through the Bible cover to cover) I see what my brother-in-law meant.  When we pray for something like patience, the way God leads us to become more patient people is by making us practice.  We cannot improve a skill like patience without practicing.  So he provides us the opportunities to practice. 

I still need practice and periodically I still pray for His help with my patience.  I trust that He will provide what I need when I need it...if only I listen to Him.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment