Monday, September 24, 2012

Emotion versus financials

We met with one of our pastors this morning to discuss a biblical view on our house situation.  We bought a home just after the market peaked back in 2006.  This has led us to be underwater with our mortgage.  While so many people we know have decided to do a short sale because they were underwater even though they could afford the house, ethically I struggle with this. 

As our savings dwindles (replacing a car, paying for additional education for my husband, having our dog diagnosed with Lyme disease and glaucoma) we have been discussing the idea of a short sale.  Our pastor expressed the struggle very well this morning. 

I have been struggling with the emotional attachment I have to our house - our home - versus the need to make a smart decision regarding the finances.  I love our home and the neighborhood.  I really don't want to move.  But if I am letting that keep us from making the best financial decision for us, then I am hindering the well-being of my family.  Somehow, I need to separate my emotions from the financial decision. 

The only way I can do this is through prayer and asking for God's help.  I am an emotional person.  I become attached to things, to people, to animals, to all sorts of things. 

One of the elders at our church said that I have a tender heart.  God made me this way for a reason - I have yet to discover that reason but I believe I will. 

For now, I will pray for God's help with this difficult decision.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment