Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Dealing with Disappointment

About a year and a half ago, I was given a diagnosis that means it would be highly unlikely that I could get pregnant again.  We have one little man who is now 4 years old.  We both grew up with one sister each and had thought we would have another child so that our son would have a sibling.  While having a sister as a child had its' ups and downs, she is now my best friend.  I had hoped we could provide something like that for our son.

We started trying for a second child when our son was about 18 months old.  While conceiving him was easy, as time passed, it became apparent that would not be the case a second time.  I started having abdominal pain and after having some tests, found that I would most likely not be having any additional children.  I didn't dwell on it.  I thought I had moved on.

Until I attended a Beth Moore webcast with a friend who is also the children's director at our church.  During a break in the webcast, my friend asked if I wanted to talk or pray about anything.  She knew what I had been going through.  She knew where my heart was.  She said it was okay to be disappointed, it was okay to grieve.

Later that evening, as I discussed it with my husband, the tears and the sobs came.  The frustration of having that decision taken away from me, the disappointment of not being able to have a second child.  It was difficult.  But it was cleansing.

Since that evening, I have moved on.  That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes envy those around me with two children.  It doesn't mean that I don't ask God about His plan.  But it does mean that I am trusting in Him "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding". 

It means that I am confident that His plan is better than anything I could come up with on my own.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment