Thursday, June 14, 2012

New Life

I was visiting a friend today who has been given the gift of a third son.  I was holding him and gazing at his little hand with the perfect, tiny fingers and the even tinier finger nails, the little thumb and tiny palm, not larger than a quarter. 

New life is such a marvelous thing.  The way life is formed within us, and then the amazing way it develops as it grows from a newborn, to an infant, to a baby, to a toddler, to a little boy or girl.  Holding this tiny baby today reminded me of all the times I have held my little boy and been awed by him, the gift of him. 

It reminded me once again to be thankful for such blessings as these.  It also reminded me of the importance of our roles in our children's lives.  To pass along the legacy of Christ's love to our children "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up...Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:5-9

We have been given such an important job and He has given us the tools with which to do it if we would only lean on Him and look to Him in our daily lives. 

My prayer today for myself and for you is that we will make the time to look for the answers to our parenting questions by reading scripture rather than looking to parenting books and magazines.  For "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3:16

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment