Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Asking Why?

We visited my parents this weekend.  Although they are past retirement age, they still own and run a small business.  Until the last several years, I think they were still enjoying it.  But at the ages of 80 and 74, they are not feeling the energy and determination they once felt.  It is wearing on them.  I can see the evidence and it is difficult to watch.

This is compounded by the fact that they cannot seem to hire/keep good, reliable, hard-working employees.  I truly don't know if it is the employees or how my parents view them, but they have gone through quite a string of people since my husband and I left in 2006.  I found I was not able to work with/for them either.

So after my father came to the house for lunch on Saturday and announced that his primary employee had left and he wasn't sure if that employee would be returning, I found myself asking God, Why?  Why haven't they been able to sell the business?  Why can't they find good employees?  Why can't they keep good employees?  How long will they continue to work so hard?  What is your plan for them God? 

I am not alone in asking this question. 

"Why, O Lord, do you stand far off?  Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?" Psalm 10:1

"How long, O Lord?  Will you forget me forever?  How long will you hide your face from me?" Psalm 13:1

David wrestled with questions to God throughout the Psalms.  We know it wasn't because he did not believe in God, nor did he lack faith and confidence in God's plan.  However, sometimes it helps to ask the questions and seek the answers by talking over the problem with God. 

I find that by asking the questions, I can more easily hand the problem over to God.  I know that I have voiced my concerns, stress, upsets, disappointments and I know that He has heard me.  This enables me to release the issue.  While I do not understand God's plan, I do know that "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

I will continue to place my trust in Him.

And pray.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment