Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Morals

As we drove home from visiting my parents this weekend, we saw an automobile stopped on the side of the highway.  Standing just in front of the car was the driver, a young man, urinating.  Not behind a bush, not hidden behind a rise or down a hill.  Just standing alongside the freeway, full daylight, urinating. 

No privacy, no shame.

Where has the moral code gone?  The idea that some things are not acceptable to do in public? 

Perhaps it has gone the way of so many other things.  I remember when swearing wasn't allowed on the radio or television, nudity wasn't seen on TV (unless you had cable that had "those types" of stations), there was at least an attempt to show respect for others in public.  But that seems to be disappearing and it saddens me to see this. 

I am raising a little man and I shudder to think all the things he will see as he grows up in this day and age.  He will be exposed to so much regardless of my attempts to shelter him.

With God's help, we must lead him toward God, toward morals, kindness, love, compassion, patience, selflessness, gratitude - everything that our society is not.  It is our responsibility to "train [our] child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

I pray that when he is old he will not turn from it.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment