Friday, September 7, 2012

Growing in God

Every morning, my son gets out of bed.  He marches into the living room to play.

And every morning I must work to get him to help me make his bed.  It can't wait.  We can't just go play in the living room for a while before coming back in to make the bed.  We can't lounge on the sofa and read a couple of books first.  We can't make and eat breakfast while the bed remains unmade.

Why?

Because of our oldest cat Lucy.  She loves our little man's bed.  Once he is out of it, she is in it.  In the effort to do not more laundry but maybe just a little less, the bed must be made the instant he gets out. 

Part of me resents this.  Yes, I will make the bed that day.  But really?  Does it have to be right now?  Can't it wait a few minutes? 

The times I have waited a few minutes, the next thing I know, Lucy is snuggled down in the nice clean sheets.  And there I go doing more laundry.

I had a negative perspective on this whole process for a while.  But then, over time, I realized that it is just an opportunity to work on my inherent laziness and be more productive in my day. 

I have started thanking God for these types of things - little things that make me change my habits.  Things that give me a reason to better myself, be a better wife, be a better mom, be a better employee, be a better friend.

It will be a lifelong journey.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment