Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Lost Word

"Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the Lord, but they will not find it." Amos 8:12

My primary bible is a NIV Life Application Study Bible.  At times I find myself reading all of the explanations and information in the footers at the end of each page.  At other times, I solely read the word of God and no explanations are necessary. 

As I have made my way through the old testament this year, I have gone back and forth.  But last week as I was reading Amos, I found myself reading the explanations.  About Amos 8:11-13, it says "The people had no appetite for God's word when prophets like Amos brought it.  Because of their apathy, God said he would take away even the opportunity to hear his word.  We have God's word, the Bible.  But many still look everywhere for answers to life's problems except in Scripture..."

As I read this, I realized, I do this.  I still look for answers from others, from books, from the Internet, often before I go to Scripture.  I have been doing this recently and found myself sinking toward a darkness that I cannot describe.  It is when I do not fix my eyes and heart on my heavenly Father, when I do not look to Him for guidance first that I begin to sink. 

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness..." Matthew 6:33

I know this, and yet so often I forget. 

Next time, I pray I will remember.

In His Grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment